Legal Requirements For
Getting Married In Austria

Make it your priority to fully understand the legal requirements for getting married in Austria.

The following information is intended to be a starting point and guideline only.

Wedding Legal Requirements

Although much care and effort has been taken to ensure the information provided is correct please do not take it as legal advice. I strongly advise you to consult the Austrian Embassy for first hand information.

Legality of Marriage

You can legally get married in Austria but your marriage will only be valid if it is performed at a Standesamt, which is the registry of births, deaths and marriages and it must be preformed by an official of the registry in the presence of two witnesses.

Residency Requirements

There are no minimum residency requirements to get married in Austria.

However, once you have filed for your marriage application there is usually a waiting period of between two and six weeks until you will be given a confirmed date of marriage.

You can file your marriage application up to a maximum of six months prior to your wedding date.

Marriage Application

If either of you is an Austrian citizen or resides in Austria (regardless of citizenship), your marriage application must be filed at the Standesamt which pertains to your residence.

If neither of you are Austrian or do not reside in Austria, your marriage application must be filed at the main registrar's office in Vienna.

Standesamt Wien-Innere Stadt
Schlesingerplatz 4
A-1080 Vienna
Tel: +43-1-40134 08591
Fax: +43-1-40134 99 08580

When filing for your marriage licence you must be both present in person.

If neither of you reside in Austria, in some circumstances the Registrar will waiver this requirement, however it would be advisable that this has been agreed to before you continue on with your plans for arranging your wedding in Austria.

If permission has been granted for you not to be in attendance, I would advise employing the services of a wedding planner or a legal professional to file your marriage application on your behalf.

When filing for your marriage application the registrar will require the following:

  • legal proof of marriageability and
  • any possible impediments to marriage

This is based on your declarations and the certificates and proof presented.

Please note: When filing the application, you must inform the registrar of the surnames you will using after marriage.

Required Documentation

All documentation must be original or certified copies, and your Certificate of No Impediment must not be older than 6 months.

  • Certificate of No Impediment (UK Citizens only) together with an Apostille and a translation
  • Certificate de coutume & MP2A form (Irish Citizens only) together with an
  • Apostille and a translation
  • Original long Birth Certificate which include the names of both your parents
  • Passport
  • Photocopies of the picture page of the passports for your two witnesses, listing their name, address and occupation.
  • If you are divorced - a Decree Absolute & previous marriage certificates
  • If you have changed your name - Deed Poll

UK Citizens - Certificate of No Impediment

  • To obtain a Certificate of No Impediment this is done by Giving Notice (publishing the Banns) at your local registry office no more than six months before your wedding date. 23 days after you have given notice the registry office will release a Certificate of No Impediment.

Irish Citizens - Certificate of Freedom to marry

  • Complete a statutory declaration called a "Certificate de coutume".
  • Complete an MP2A form and have it signed by authorised signatory.

Certificate of Marriage

You will be issued with an international wedding certificate that will be valid in your home country however, if you wish more than one copy you will need to request this in advance.

If you are a UK resident upon your return home your marriage can be lodged with the Registry of Births, Marriages and Deaths and you can order extra copies in the normal way.

Religious Ceremonies

In Austria only a civil ceremony is legally binding. If you wish to have a religious ceremony you must first have a civil ceremony.

The civil ceremony can take place in Austria or in your country of residence.

Further Information

For further information on the legal requirements for getting married in Austria please contact the Austrian Embassy in your country of residence.

United Kingdom
Austrian Embassy London
18 Belgrave Mews West
London SW1X 8HU
Tel: (+44/20) 7344 3250
Fax: (+44/20) 7344 0292

Austrian Embassy
15 Ailesbury Court
93 Ailesbury Road
Dublin 4
Tel: 01 269 4577 / 269 1451
Fax: 01 283 0860

Austrian Embassy Canberra
12 Talbot Street
Forrest ACT 2603
Tel: (+61/2) 6295 1533
Fax: (+61/2) 6239 6751

United States
3524 International Court
NW, Washington DC 20008-3035
Tel: (202) 895-6700
Fax: (202) 895-6750

Austrian Embassy Ottawa
445 Wilbrod Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 6M7
Tel: +1 613 789 1444
Fax: +1 613 789 3431



Destination Wedding Invitations
Creative Events Asia

austrian suppliers

Wedding Planners
Wedding Venues
Travel Specialist
Wedding Celebrants

useful pages

Supplier Directory
Wedding Stationery
Wedding Insurance
Create A Wedding Website
Planning Checklist
Real Weddings
Advertise Here
Sing Up for free Newsletter