Legal Requirements For
Getting Married In Australia

The legal requirements for getting married in Australia are relatively simple and straightforward.

The following information is intended to be a starting point and guideline only.

Wedding Legal Requirements

Although much care and effort has been taken to ensure the information provided is correct please do not take it as legal advice. I strongly advise you to consult the Embassy or High Commission of Australia for first hand information.

Legality of Marriage

The marriage of UK and Irish citizens conducted in Australia is legally binding under UK and Irish law.

This is also the case for citizens from most other countries wishing to marry in Australia.

Residency Requirements

There are no minimum residency requirements for getting married in Australia.

Marriage Application

You will need to file a completed Notice of Intended Marriage form to an authorised marriage celebrant at least one month and one day prior to the date of your proposed marriage but no more than 18 months before.

A Notice of Intended Marriage form can be lodged from overseas as long as it has been signed in the presence of:

  • Australian Diplomatic Officer;
  • an Australian Consular Officer;
  • a notary public;
  • an employee of the Commonwealth authorised under para 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955;
  • an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under para 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955.

When the signature of one party to an intended marriage cannot conveniently be obtained, one party may sign and lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage form, but the other party must also sign the form in the presence of an authorised celebrant before your marriage takes place.

Once witnessed, the Notice Of Intended Marriage form can be sent to the Marriage Celebrant, Wedding Planner or to friends or relatives in Australia if they are arranging the wedding.

The Marriage Celebrant will advise you of any additional documents you need to supply before your wedding can take place.

Notice of Intended Marriage form

Click here to download the Notice of Intended Marriage form.

Required Documentation

All documents must be original and taken with you to Australia.

  • Full Birth Certificate.
  • 10 Year Passport with at least 6 months validity remaining.
  • Notice of Intended Marriage - requirements listed above.
  • If you are divorced - a Decree Absolute.
  • If you are a widower - a Death certificate and previous Marriage Certificate.
  • If you are adopted - an Adoption certificate.
  • If you are under 18 - an order from the court under section 12 of the Marriage Act 1961
  • If you have changed your name by deed poll - stamped proof by a solicitor.


Marriage of any persons under the age of 18 years of age without an order of a judge or magistrate is invalid. Under no circumstances can two persons under 18 years marry each other.

Marriage Certificate

On the day of your marriage, your marriage certificate will be signed by yourselves, the marriage celebrant and two witnesses over 18 years of age. Your marriage certificate will also carry your dates and places of birth, usual addresses and occupations, conjugal status and your parents' names, including your mothers' maiden names.

This certificate will be forwarded to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages within 14 days for official recordings.

On the day of your marriage you will be issued with a shorter certificate of marriage bearing your, the celebrants and witnesses' signatures, which states that your marriage took place on a certain date but this certificate has no legal weight.

Your legal marriage certificate will be available from the Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the State in which your marriage took place.

For further information

For further information on the legal requirements for getting married in Australia please contact the Australian Embassy or High Commission.

United Kingdom

London WC2B 4LA
(corner of the Aldwych and the Strand. Nearest Tube station: Temple)
Tel: 020 7379 4334
Fax: 020 7240 5333

Forsyth House
93 George St
Edinburgh EH2 3ES
Tel: 0131 243 2589
Fax: 0131 624 3701

7th Floor,
Fitzwilton House,
Wilton Terrace,
Dublin 2
Tel: 664 5300 (from outside Ireland call +353 1 6645300)
Fax: 678 5185 (Consular and Administration)

United States
1601 Massachusetts Ave,
NW, Washington DC 20036-2273
Tel: (202) 797-3000
Fax: (202) 797-3168

7th Floor, Suite 710
50 O'Connor Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 6L2
Tel: (613) 236-0841
Fax: (613) 236-4376

New Zealand
72-76 Hobson St,
Thorndon, Wellington,
Tel: (64 4) 473 6411
Fax: (64 4) 498 7135


Destination Wedding Invitations
Creative Events Asia

australian suppliers

Wedding Planners in Australia
Wedding Venues in Australia
Travel Specialist in Australia

useful pages

Supplier Directory
Wedding Stationery
Wedding Insurance
Create A Wedding Website
Planning Checklist
Real Weddings
Advertise Here
Sing Up for free Newsletter